Monday 28 April 2014

A Lack of Baking and General Life Stuff

Well my poor blog and blog readers have been well and truly neglected lately.  It's been about 6 months since I last posted and if I'm being completely honest I haven't even thought about my blog much at all in the last three.  It's not because I'm not interested in it any more and have lost the desire to post, it's simply because life has a habit of really getting in the way.

Six months ago my hubby and I made a huge change in our lives when we moved to the north west - back to where I grew up and where I am much happier.  To do this however we have had to face a number of big challenges and establish a new way of living our lives.  Hubby has started a new job up north and I have stayed in my old one in London which means I still live half the week down South - away from my home and my husband - and I spend vast amounts of time and money on travelling between the two.

I'm not looking for your sympathies here (well maybe a little bit!), it was our choice to do this.  But anyone who's ever tried to relocate knows how hard it is for one person, let alone when both of you have careers to try and manage.  I really love my job and the company I work for suits me very well.  I don't want to leave but I do want to be up north so this is the compromise we have reached and we'll do this until it just doesn't work any more.

I won't bore you with all the details of some of the horrible things we've been through in the last few months, suffice to say it's been super challenging and there has been a lot of teeth gritting, tears and the odd total meltdown.  That's life kids, and I really did promise myself I wouldn't waffle on too much in this post.  In amongst it all there hasn't been a lot of baking going on and realistically I can't see that changing a huge amount in the near future.  I still want to carry on with my Michel Roux Desserts challenge, and actually I did make a fruit crumble out of the book a couple of months back, but there isn't (and won't be) a blog post to go with it.  I also made a Tunis cake at Christmas which went down a storm with my picky husband, but see above statement about blogging about it.

I haven't been completely uncreative however as I have been carrying on developing my sewing skills and as well as the lavender bags, make up bags and minor alterations I was doing I have now made two whole garments from scratch.  Yes TWO!  The first was an a line skirt (for those that don't sew this is pretty much the most basic clothing you can make) and the second was a pretty, loose fitting top which I am super proud of.  It's soooo much better than the skirt already and I am patting myself on the back at the progress I'm making in the sewing stakes.

Which brings me (finally) to the point of this post.  I'm going to shake my blog up a little.  I'll still be blogging about baking but I'm also going to write about other creative things I do.  I figure that someone who's interested in baking might also be interested in other creative pursuits so hopefully no one will mind too much.  If they do, well they can skip that post of course!  Let's face it there are no rules to this blogging lark, I can write a post about damn near anything I fancy.  You might not want to read it but that's OK, I won't force you.

So that's it for now.  I hope you're all well and stuff.  Let's not leave it so long next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment and then submit. We love to hear from you